For thousands of years plants and herbs have been used to treat all kinds of medical conditions or to improve general health and wellbeing.
In these days of great medical advances, when all sorts of drugs are available, it’s worth remembering that the simpler remedies provided by nature can still have a role to play.
In fact, many riders, trainers and vets believe that the right herbs for horses contribute massively to the well-being of their animals.
At Pegasus Health we believe that you should always consult your vet and take his advice when your horse is ill or injured – but with his, or her, support you may find that a herbal remedy designed for horses can help.
Just because herbs are a natural substance it does not mean that it is safe to feed any herbs, in any quantities, to your horse. You need expert advice to select the right herbs for horses and it makes sense to buy only tried and trusted top-quality products.
The herbs for horses supplied by Pegasus Health come to you from trusted suppliers and are collected and packaged in line with both European laws and the best practices of the herbal medicine world.
Best-sellers in the Pegasus Health range include:
- Echinacea Purpurea which can stimulate and strengthen natural immunity. It is also good for skin complaints and wound healing.
- Boswellia Serrata which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and pain reliever for problem joints which may also help with disorders such as ulcerative colitis and psoriasis.
- Raspberry Leaf is best-known as a supplement for pregnant mares to strengthen and tone the uterine muscles in preparation for labour.
- Seaweed and Rose Hip Mix combines very rich sources of key vitamins and nutrients in one highly-effective horse supplement rich in anti-oxidant flavonoids, beta-carotene, calcium, copper, iodine, magnesium, potassium, selenium, sulphur, vital amino and fatty acids, and vitamins A, B, C, D, E, K and H (biotin).
- Milk Thistle promotes a healthy liver and helps avoid skin complaints associated with liver disorders.
- Agnus Castus helps to balance hormones making it useful for calming male horses as well as tackling the seasonal moods of mares.
Herbal medicine and supplements can help horses recover from illness, injury or surgery. They can also be useful for non-life-threatening, non-emergency conditions including ligament and tendon injuries, allergies, fatigue, gastric ulcers and anaemia.