Equine Premium Gut Balancer is a daily probiotic supplement to support natural immunity.
It is ideal for horses that don’t ‘do’ well, stabled horses that compete at any level and senior/veteran horses. It helps ensure the gut microflora is optimised for immune system support, and that nutrients are fully absorbed for maximum energy release.
Containing only Protexin probiotic and Preplex prebiotic on a grass meal–based powder, Equine Premium Gut Balancer is a regular supplement to support every-day good health.
Add 10 g daily to feed. Increase to 20 g per day at times of stress (e.g competition and travel)
Promoting health from the inside out
The health of a horse’s digestive system is one of the major factors in regulating overall performance and condition:
- By affecting the ability to convert nutrition into energy
- By affecting the strength of the immune system
- By affecting the anxiety status
To keep healthy, the digestive system needs billions of beneficial microorganisms (the microflora) living in the caecum - helping to digest the fibrous diet, and to create an exclusion barrier to harmful bacteria.
However, when the horse is subjected to stressful situations - competition, travel, fatigue, illness - its natural ‘empty and run’ flight response means that the balance of the microflora can become disrupted. This can therefore affect its immune response and ability to recover its health and performance.
Protexin Equine Premium is a range of specific supplements, each with a high quality probiotic to support the balance of the microflora and therefore to promote effective health, recovery and performance.Ten things you need to know about probiotics:
- Probiotics are supplements added to the horse’s diet which contain live beneficial micro organisms that optimise intestinal microbial health.
- Probiotics are defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as "live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host".
- Probiotics have been shown to increase the efficiency of digestion. Demonstrating an improved digestive system and overall health of a horse.
- Within the gut, beneficial as well as pathogenic microorganisms will be utilising the same types of nutrients. This results in a general competition between microorganisms for these nutrients. When a probiotic is administered there is an overall reduction in nutrients available for pathogenic bacteria and consequently this minimises the levels of pathogenic microorganisms which can cause disease.
- Probiotics attach to the gut wall and form colonies at various sites throughout the gut. This prevents pathogenic bacteria from gaining a foothold, resulting in their expulsion from the body and helping the overall health of your horse.
- A probiotic should have no nutrition or energy value so it can be combined with any diet. With no risk of overdose.
- Probiotics have been shown to increase levels of immunity and the effectiveness of infection-fighting cells (white blood cells).
- Make sure your probiotics are manufactured with high quality standards and the correct processes. This is imperative and ensures that the product meets label specifications and is also effective and safe to use, so use a well established reputable brand. Within the EU all probiotics must be registered for use in an individual animal species. For example, Saccharomyces cerevisiae (NCYC Sc47) 4b1702 is registered for use in horses.
- Probiotics in the Equine Premium range are specifically developed to survive the transit through the gut with a unique process involving freeze drying and micro encapsulation which improves stability throughout the GI tract. The Equine Premium range is fully BETA NOPS compliant for use in competition and race horses.
- Protexin's unique Preplex prebiotic feeds the beneficial microorganisms in the gut and helps restore the balance of the microflora promoting effective health, recovery and performance in horses.