Wash-in cleaner for down filled gear that safely revitalises breathability and water-repellency.
Benefits of using Nikwax® Down Wash:
- It prolongs the life of gear and optimises outdoor performance
- Revitalises loft and insulation, without damaging the structure of the down
- It maintains breathability
- It maintains original water-repellency
- It’s easy-to-apply - can be used in a washing machine
- Suitable for use on all fabrics, including technical textiles
- It lifts out dirt that can attract water and mask water repellent finishes
- Unlike detergents, it does not leave behind water attractive residues which encourage ‘wetting-out’
- It will remove detergent residues left behind by previous washes
- WaterBased - environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non-flammable, non-hazardous
- Does not contain fluorocarbons
When to use Nikwax® Down Wash:
- All feather-filled / down clothing and equipment.
Always apply Nikwax® Down Wash to used down clothing to keep items in perfect condition. We advise cleaning items with Nikwax® Down Wash before proofing them with Nikwax® Down Proof. You should be able to wash reproofed garments 6 to 8 times with Nikwax® Down Wash before it requires reproofing with Nikwax® Down Proof
Use neat Nikwax® Down Wash to treat stubborn stains before washing. Remove all non-washable parts. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions. Do not use detergents.Machine wash for down clothing only:
Hand wash for down clothing and 1-2 season** sleeping bags:
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser
- Place item in washing machine (maximum 1 item)
- Use 150 ml in medium/hard water* areas and 100 ml in soft water areas
- Wash according to care label, preferably on low setting and slow spin
- Use gloves. Immerse item(s) in hand-hot water in bowl or bathtub. For clothing use 150ml in medium/ hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas for 1-2 items
- For sleeping bags use 150 ml in 4cm deep water in a bathtub
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly
- Rinse clothing in cold water until water runs clear. For sleeping bags repeat process, drain and gently press bag to expel excess water
Spin dry 3 times (slow spin). If care label allows tumble dry according to manufacturer's instructions on a low setting until 'clumps' have disappeared. Shaking and patting the item regularly during drying process will help restore loft to the down.
*If your kettle furs up you have hard water.
**3-4 season down sleeping bags should be professionally cleaned and waterproofed.
To waterproof use Nikwax® Down Proof. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.Volume guide:
- To clean clothing use 2 full caps (100 ml) in soft water and 3 full caps (150 ml) in hard water
- To clean sleeping bags use 3 full caps (150 ml) in water (3-4 season down sleeping bags should be professionally cleaned or proofed)
Advice from our panel of experts
More advice from our experts